Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Problem Adding New Host to Replication manager

I ran into an interesting problem today when trying to connect a new host to Replication Manager. When I right clicked on the host and selected discover arrays I would get the following error (SymApi not present, but function "SymInquiry All" Invoked).




















It turns out that windows 2003 servers that are 64 bit must have the Solutions Enabler 32 bit client on them. The 64 bit Solutions enabler client is ONLY for 64 bit 2008 servers. After uninstalling the 64 bit client from the 2003 servers and then installing the 32 bit client on them (no downtime is required by the way) I was still running into this issue. What I then had to do was the following:
  • Stop the RM service from the server that I was trying to add to RM
  • Go into the following directory C:\Program Files (x86)\EMC\rm\client\bin
  • Renamed symapi_db_emcrm_client.db to symapi_db_emcrm_client.db.old
  • Restart the rm client services.
  • Right click the host in RM and select discover arrays, this error should now be resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment